These races, sponsored by PG&E (men) and El Camino Hospital (women) are part of the annual PA/USATF Road Race Grand Prix Circuit. Only USA Track & Field member athletes may compete in these races. Per PA/USATF Road Grand Prix rules, PA/USATF-members only are eligible to receive Grand Prix points and prize money. Athletes of all age groups may enter, although points will be awarded only in the open men’s and open women’s (ages 39 and under) Grand Prix divisions. Championship scoring in this event is for PA/USATF individuals only. PA/USATF club teams will not be scored.
A PA/USATF Grand Prix prize purse totaling $2,900 will be awarded, plus PA/USATF athletes are eligible to “double dip” in an All-Comers prize purse totaling $12,100, and collect $5,000 U.S. 5K record bonuses.
PA/USATF open women compete first, in an Open Women’s Championship section, which is followed by the PA/USATF Open Men’s Championship. Both Championship races take place concurrently with the respective Elite 5K women’s and men’s races, giving PA/USATF athletes an opportunity to run with world-class competition.
The USATF-certified, spectator-friendly 5K course consists of a flat 1,200-meter loop which is negotiated four times, plus an additional 200 meter straightaway at the start.
In addition to PA/USATF prize funds, PA/USATF Championship overall winners receive a commemorative trophy, and a first place medal, Additionally, the top three placers in the following age divisions receive medals: 19-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39.
Entry fees for this race are $35 (online registration), and $40 (mail in and on site).
For more about Pacific Association USA Track & Field, and for PA/USATF membership information, www.pausatf.org.
Prize Purse Details
Applied Materials Silicon Valley Turkey Trot
Thursday, November 22, 2012 (Thanksgiving)
Total Purse: $25,000 ($15,000 + $10,000 U.S. Record Bonuses)
Elite Men’s and Women’s 5K Races ($12,100)
- 1st Place Male & Female Overall: $2,500
- 2nd Place Male & Female Overall: $1,500
- 3rd Place Male & Female Overall: $850
- 4th Place Male & Female Overall: $500
- 5th Place Male & Female Overall: $250
- 6th Place Male & Female Overall: $100
- 1st Place Master Male & Female: $350
(40 years of age and older)
Pacific Association/USATF – Open Men’s and Women’s Championships
- 1st Place PA/USATF Male & Female: $500
- 2nd Place PA/USATF Male & Female: $350
- 3rd Place PA/USATF Male & Female: $250
- 4th Place PA/USATF Male & Female: $200
- 5th Place PA/USATF Male & Female: $100
- 6th Place PA/USATF Male & Female $50
* Double dipping is allowed for PA/USATF athletes between the Elite Men’s/Women’s 5K and PA/USATF prize purses. PA/USATF prize money is awarded to PA/USATF members only.
U.S. 5K Record Bonuses($10,000)
$5,000 for the first U.S. male and/or female setting a U.S. 5K open road record. These records (as of 7/28/2010) are:
Men: 13:24 Marc Davis (CO) Carlsbad 5000, CA (1996)
Women: 14:54 Deena Drossin (CA) Carlsbad 5000, CA (2002)
New U.S. records must be ratified by USA Track & Field before record bonus prize money is awarded.