It was Thanksgiving morning, 2004, when Carl and Leslee Guardino heard a radio report announcing “20,000 people downtown running and walking to benefit the needy.” Here is the kicker – the radio report was about Sacramento, not Silicon Valley. Carl turned to Leslee and said, “Somebody ought to do a race like that here.” Leslee gave Carl that look that said, “Maybe that somebody should be us.”
Reaching out to Bob Brownstein at Working Partnerships, a think-tank arm of the Central Labor Council, a partnership was formed. Several months later, a major milestone occurred when Joe Pon of Applied Materials successfully championed the idea of Applied serving as our Multi-Year Title Sponsor within the company. With a Title Sponsor, and then several branded co-sponsors, the Applied Materials “Silicon Valley Turkey Trot – Run, or Walk for Health, Hope and a Home” was born.
Three great local charities serving local residents were selected as multi-year beneficiaries, and a volunteer Executive Steering Committee started planning the first race, set for Thanksgiving Day, 2005.
- The Year One Goals: 1,000 participants, supported by 200 volunteers, with a stretch goal to raise $100,000 for charity.
- The Year One Results: 1,900 participants supported by 250 volunteers, clearing $132,000 for the three charities.
- Year Two Results: 3,200 participants, supported by 350 volunteers, raising $187,000 for charity.
- Year Three Results: 6,200 participants, supported by 450 volunteers, raising more than $216,000 for charity.
- Year Four Results: 7,614 participants, supported by 600 volunteers, clearing $280,000 for charity.
- Year Five Results: 10,600 participants, supported by 650 volunteers, clearing $322,000 for charity.
- Year Six Results: 14,100 participants, supported by 860 volunteers, clearing $450,000 for charity.
- Year Seven Results: 22,124 participants, supported by 1000 volunteers, clearing $612,000 for charity.
- Year Eight Results: 24,223 participants, supported by 2000 volunteers, clearing $750,000 for charity.
Our Title Sponsor:
We are honored that for the eighth straight year, Applied Materials – and CEO Mike Splinter – are serving as our Title Sponsor. Applied Materials “sets the bar” in terms of community service and commitment to our Valley. Thank you Applied Materials!
Raising Money for Charity:
The race is run almost exclusively by volunteers from the Silicon Valley Leadership Group, Central Labor Council, City of San Jose, County of Santa Clara, Applied Materials, numerous community partners and each branded co-sponsor and our three benefiting charities: Second Harvest Food Bank, the Housing Trust of Santa Clara County and the Santa Clara Family Health Foundation’ Children’s Health Initiative.
In the first eight years of the Applied Materials “Silicon Valley Turkey Trot,” we have donated more than $3 million to these three great local charities meeting the needs of local residents and communities within Silicon Valley.
With YOUR help in 2013 we anticipate raising even more for charity.